Thursday, July 18, 2013

Apple TV 3rd generation

So I picked up an AppleTV 3rd gen (rev 2 model A1469).



I was on the fence about this for a long time. I have a dozen of different ways I can get my videos, netflix, youtube, and music to my television so why now? Answer: iTunes Radio and Mavericks.

I have iTunes match so the ability to stream my 20,000 or so music tracks along with free ad-free iTunes Radio (free for iTunes Match subscribers) persuaded me to buy this. I guess, I am deep in Apple's ecosystem and this is how they get you to buy their hardware. I also like the fact OSX 10.9 Mavericks has the ability to use Air Display spanning display which comes in handy if there is a video codec the Apple TV does not natively support. Airplay is incredibly useful if you run OSX.

With discounts around $75, it was a cheap buy.

The new revision 2 has a new A5 SOC so it consumes even less power ( 0.7W). Just for perspective, 0.7W * 24 hr/day * 365 days/year * 1KWhr/1000W = About 6KWHr per year. Assuming $0.12 per KWHr, that is $1.38 a year to leave this thing up and running 24x7.



No comments:

Post a Comment